Oughaval Civil Parish
AUGHAVAL, or OUGHAVAL, a parish, in the barony of MURRISK, county of MAYO, and province of CONNAUGHT; containing, with the market and post-town of Westport, 13,921 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the bay of Westport, and on the road from Castlebar to Lewisburgh; it is partly bounded by the celebrated mountain of Croagh Patrick, and comprises 26,748 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £7017 per annum. The land is chiefly under tillage; the system of agriculture is improving; there are large tracts of bog, which, lying on an inclined plane, might be easily reclaimed and rendered productive. Limestone of good quality abounds and is quarried for building, for mending the roads, and for burning into lime. Lead mines were formerly worked, but are now disused; and in the mountain of Sheffrey a copper mine was opened, but has long been discontinued. The principal seats are Westport House, the mansion of the Marquess of Sligo; Murrisk Abbey, of J. Garvine, Esq.; Trafalgar Lodge, of C. Higgins, Esq.; Marino, of J. Cuff, Esq.; Holdhead, of the Rev. F. L. Rutledge; and Boathaven, of the Rev. J. D’Arcy Sirr. Besides the market at Westport, fairs are also held there and at Murrisk. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, with the vicarages of Aughagower, Kilmaclasser, and Kilgavower united by act of council, constituting the union of Aughaval, otherwise Westport, in the patronage of the Archbishop; the rectory is appropriate to the archdeaconry of Tuam and prebend of Killabeggs. The tithes amount to £300, of which £225 is payable to the incumbent, and the remainder to the archdeacon and prebendary; and the tithes of the entire benefice amount to £884. 10. The church, an old building in the demesne of the Marquess of Sligo, was erected by aid of a gift of £500 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1797, and was lately repaired by a grant of £166 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The glebe-house was built by a gift of £300 and a loan of £500 from the same Board, in 1815; the glebe comprises seven acres. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church: there are three chapels, one in Westport, which is spacious and ornamented with a handsome front; the other two are at Thornhill and Drummin, and are new slated buildings, but quite inadequate to the accommodation of their respective congregations. There are places of worship at Westport for Presbyterians and Wesleyan Methodists, the former in connection with the Synod of Ulster and of the third class. At Westport are four free schools and an infants’ school, in which about 330 boys and 200 girls are taught; and there are also 17 private schools, in which are about 860 children. There are some remains of an ancient abbey at Murrisk, and in the parish are some chalybeate springs. A large patron is held annually at Murrisk on the 28th of August.– See WESTPORT.
Do you have a description of this Civil Parish or a picture? If you send it/them, I will put it/them in this space.
LDS Film Numbers
|Film Title||Film number(s)|
|Tiernacroagh National School registers; Boys, 1872-1924; Girls, 1916-1925||#2356431|
|The Catholic parish of Aughaval, now called Westport, includes the civil parish of Oughaval. There are three chapels: in Westport, Lecanvey, and Drummin West. Aughaval is a variant spelling of Oughaval. Parochial registers of Aughaval Westport, marriages 1823-1857; baptisms, 1845-1858; Westport and Lecanvey. baptisms, 1859- 1872; marriages, 1857-1861; baptisms, 1857-1874.||#979697|
|Westport, Lecanvey and Drummin, baptisms, 1872-1880, Baptisms, 1874-1880; marriages, 1862-1880||#979698|
|Lecanvey, baptisms, 1859-1872; Westport, marriages, 1857-1860; Lecanvey, baptisms, 1872-1882; Drummin, baptisms, 1872-1882; Lecanvey, baptisms, 1883-1901; Drummin, baptisms, 1883-1901; Westport, marriages, 1828-1837; Westport, marriages, 1837-1857; Westport, baptisms, 1845-1858||#1279210|
|Westport, marriages, 1862-1905; Westport, baptisms, 1862-1874||#1279211|
|Tithe Applotment, 1823-38||#256675|
|Griffiths Valuation, Westport Union, 1855. Parishes in Murrisk Barony: Aghagower, Kilgeever, Oughaval||#844988|
|1901 Drummin D.E.D. 139/1-17, Kilsallagh D.E.D. 142/2-17||#846258|
|1901 Croaghpatrick D.E.D. 150/1-21||#846260|
|1901 Kilmeena D.E.D. 151/82-84; Westport Rural D.E.D. 154/6-9, 11, 10, 12, 16-28, 15, 14, 13||#846261|
|1901 Westport Urban D.E.D. 155/3-15, 35; 155/16, 18, 17, 19-23, 25, 24, 26-28, 30, 29, 31-34||#846262|
|1911 Drummin D.E.D. 139/1-17 Townlands: Barnaderg, Cuilmore, Derryaun, Derryhawna, Derrylea, Derrymore, Drummin East, Drummin West, Glenlaur, Leenavesta, Lenanadurtaun, Muingatogher, Oughty, Pollanoughty, Shanvallybeg, Tawnyard, Tawnycrower||#2193386|
|1911 Kilsallagh D.E.D. 142/2-17 Townlands: Barraglanna, Boheh, Carrowmacloughlin, Cartoor, Cuilleen, Durless, Furgill, Glenbaun, Glencally, Gorteendarragh, Kilsallagh Lower, Kilsallagh Upper, Leckanvy, Mullagh, Tangincartoor, Tawnyslinnaun||#2193387|
|1911 Croaghpatrick D.E.D. 150/1-18 Townlands: Bellataleen, Carrowkeel, Carrowkeeran, Crott Mountain, Deerpark West, Fahburren, Glaspatrick, Killadangan, Lenacraigaboy, Meermihil, Murrisk Demesne, Murrisknaboll, Owenwee, Teevenacroaghy, Thornhill, Cahernaran Island, Roeillan Island, ten other islands||#2193404|
|1911 Kilmeena D.E.D. 151/82-84 Islands off the coast: Inishdaugh, Inisheeny, Two other islands in Clew Bay||#2193406|
|1911 Westport Rural D.E.D. 154/6-27 Townlands: Aghamore, Ardoley, Belclare, Carrowbaun, Carrownalurgan Rural (part of), Churchfield, Clerhaun, Cloghan, Clooneen, Drumminaweelaun, Farnaght, Gortaroe, Killaghoor (part of) Rural, Killeencoff, Knockaraha East, Knockaraha West, Knockfin, Rossbeg, Rossymailley, Streamstown, Illanroe Island, Roman Island and two others||#2193408|
|1911 Westport Urban D.E.D. 155/2-17 Townlands: Ardmore, Attireesh, Cahernamart, Carrowbaun, Carrowbeg, Carrownalurgan, Cloonmonad, Deerpark East, Killaghoor, Knockranny, Westport Demesne. Westport Town: Altamont Street, Bridge Street, Castlebar Street||#2193409|
|1911 Westport Urban D.E.D. 155/18-33 Westport Town: Church Street, Fair Green Street, High Street, James Street, John’s Row Street, Kirk Row, Mill Street, Monument Street, Newport Street, North Hall, Ochagon, Peter Street, Quay Street, Shop Street, South Mall Street, Tober Hill Street||#2193410|
(before ordering films, check # for accuracy)
|To add your surname||Email GenWeb Co Mayo|
Civil Parish Links
|Pat Deese’s website, many records pertaining to Oughaval Civil Parish|
|Griffith’s Valuation Index, Oughaval Civil Parish, John Hayes’ website|
|Add your links, send an email describing link and don’t forget the URL|
Information to be added:
Your help is needed Civil Parish website….
COUNTY MAYO CIVIL PARISHES
Civil parishes are important units for records purposes. They generally contain around 25 to 30 townlands, as well as towns and villages. In many cases civil parishes straddle county and barony boundaries. Another confusing aspect is that some civil parishes are in several geographically separate parts. If you are researching tithes applotments, they are arranged by civil parishes, as are the Griffith’s Valuations and Church of Ireland church registers.
This section of the County Mayo website is new and civil parish webpages will be added each month. Each webpage, will give the barony, poor law union, Catholic diocese and parish of each civil parish plus all the townlands found in the civil parish, as defined in the 1851 Townland Index with links to their webpages. Also included are LDS film numbers for the tithes, GVs, 1901 & 1911 Ireland Indexes, plus links and surnames. Descriptions from the Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis (1837) are included and pictures of the area as contributed by readers.
*boundaries changed with Local Government Act of 1898
(some townlands changed counties, Castleconor switched ot County Mayo from County Sligo)